It’s Monday~ My Planned Week in Books
I had a rough week in reading. I’ve never had it happen where every book I pick up just does nothing for me. I hate giving up on a book. Some weird obsessive-compulsive part of my brain won’t let me do it. So I started a few and stopped, thinking I would finish that book and go back. Yeah. Didn’t happen.
So, in my frustration, I went back to something I know I love, in a new format. I downloaded a free eBook copy of Pride and Prejudice. ~sigh~ Ahhh nothing touches my heart like Mr. Darcy.
All of this got me thinking about asking for an eBook reader for Christmas. But which one? I automatically took the Sony eReader off of my list. I’ve heard too much bad stuff about it. So it’s down to the Kindle or the Nook.
Things I like about the Kindle:
1. It’s been around long enough to get reviews, both good and bad.
2. It has a “read to me” option.
3. I like Amazon.com.
Things I like about the Nook:
1. It is supposed to have an eLending feature. (Though I am wary of this. I heard you can only lend each book once, ever AND this is only available on a book if a publisher allows it. I’m not sure this is such a selling point for me now…)
2. It has a color display.
3. I also love Barnes and Noble.
So I am left still not knowing what I want, or even if I want it. Something I think I DO want is an MP3 player and an account on Audible.com.
Now, off of that tangent…on to my planned week in books.
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I bought this book today and started reading it right away. My husband stopped at Barnes and Noble before our trip to the pumpkin patch. Mostly I think, because he wanted to shut me up. But I don’t care I got two books and a coffee out of it. 🙂 I started reading Graceling in the car.
From the back cover:
Katsa has been able to kill a man since she was eight-she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of priviledge, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.
When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about it change.
She never expects to become Po’s friend.
She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace- or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away…
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
This was my other pick from the bookstore today. Since I’ve seen nothing but rave reviews for this one, I am going to stick it in for this week as well. ~sigh~ I need to not be disappointed with books this week!
From the back cover:
Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth’s magic. She must be protected at all times from Strigoi: the fiercest vampires- the ones who never die. The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rosse Hathaway, Lissa’s best friend, makes her a Dhampir. Rose is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making Lissa one of them.
After two years of freedom, Rose and Lissa and caught and dragged back to St. Vladimir’s Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be, hidden in the deep forests of Montana. But inside the iron gates, life is even more fraught with danger…and the Strigoi are always close by.
Rose and Lissa must navigate their dangerous world, confront the temptations of forbidden love, and never once let their guard down, lest the evil undead make Lissa one of them forever…
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for these two books. I need good books to cheer me up. Oh and I almost forgot, I will finish up the last little bit of Pride and Prejudice I haven’t got to yet.
1. I won Solemate by Lauren Mackler from J. Kaye’s Book Blog in a Quickie Twitter Giveaway. C’mon people, claim your prizes when you win! And yes, J. Kaye made me go to the dark side. I now have a Twitter account, though I’m not seeing the appeal. Maybe I just don’t know what I am doing… Although this book isn’t what I expected now that I’ve read the summary from the author, we will see…
2. I won an eBook of my choice from Eternal Press at Bitten by Books as part of the My Bloody Valentine – 31 days of Dark Delight giveaways. Go visit! There is a new contest every day!!
3. I won a copy of Mr. Darcy’s Diary from Miss Remmers’ Review as part of the Everything Austen Challenge
4. I won one of the many Vampire’s Assistant Cirque du Freak contests going on out there. I won mine over at GreenBeanTeenQueen. I will recieve the first three books all bound up together. Pretty cool!
I guess I was pretty lucky! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a few more contests too!
No awards this week and no other news. I hope you all have a great booking week. I’m hoping to have a drastic improvement in mine!!