Everything Austen Challenge – Clueless
Directed by Amy Heckerling
Screenplay by Amy Heckerling
Based upon the book Emma by Jane Austen
When I originally saw this movie, I had no clue that it was a spin on Emmaby Jane Austen. Being an Austen fan, I’m slightly ashamed of myself for not noticing. I loved this movie when it first came out in 1995. I wanted to be Alicia Silverstone and I was totally in love with Paul Rudd. As embarrassing as that proclamation was, I rewatched this movie today and I still loved it! Looking at it now that I know it is based on Emma, I totally see it.
Cher (Alicia Silverstone) is the queen of her highschool. She lives in posh Beverly Hills with her father. She and Dionne (Stacey Dash), her best friend, decide that they want to use their popularity for good. Which in their world means matchmaking and make-overs.
Cher starts with her two teachers, in hopes of getting better grades. They she moves on to the new girl, Tai (a VERY different looking Brittany Murphy). Cher and Dionne give her a whole new look in hopes of attracting Elton, one of the popular boys. Despite their best efforts, Elton reveals he wants a relationship with Cher. When Cher turns him down, he goes for Amber (Elisa Donovan) instead. Amber is one of the popular girls, but she is consistently nasty to everyone around her. Is the story starting to sound familiar yet?
Around Cher constantly is her former step-brother, Josh (Paul Rudd). I always thought this was a bit odd, dating your former step-brother, but I guess I have heard of weirder things. Josh is a college-boy, but unlike most of the guys she is interested in, Josh is concerned about the environment, politics, and the world news. He is cute in a dopey nerdy kind of way. Finally Cher realizes her feelings for him, but not until Tai expresses her feelings for him.
I will let you watch the movie to figure the rest out. Although I suppose most of you Austen fans will figure it out! I’m glad I watched this movie again. It made me smile when I remembered my Senior year in high school…with my knee-high and thigh-high socks and itty bitty dresses. ~Sigh~ I’m old now, and I do not think I will EVER wear thigh-highs again. That would be scary….almost as scary as me in a mini-skirt!
Here is my list of challenge items so far. I swear I plan on doing some Austenesque reading soon! I need to win some books! My husband has cut me off.
5/12 completed with 2 extra!
1. Austenland by Shannon Hale -Read July 2009. I’ve wanted to read this for a long time and along comes a perfect challenge!
2. Pride and Prejudice BBC Miniseries -I’ve seen this a few times, but I don’t remember it fully. It’s always worth another viewing.
3. Pride and Prejudice 2005 Movie Adaptation -I thought it would be interesting to compare and contrast the two movie versions of the novel. I was going to reread the novel, but I’m not sure how much Pride and Prejudice I can take!
4. Emmaby Jane Austen -Of all the Austen novels, I remember this one the least, so I picked it to re-read.
5. Emma Movie Adaptation -Liked this movie version. I’ve heard this is one of the better ones.
6. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith -I have nothing to say other than…curiousity has finally got the best of me. My biggest problem is the comment from the back; “…transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you’d actually want to read.” To which I say “Hey!!!” A little cheeky considering Jane Austen is still listed as an author…
7. Sense and Sensibility Movie Adaptation -1996 Version with Emma Thompson-Yay for free movies. I have NEVER seen this so it will all be new to me!
8. The Jane Austen Book Club Movie -Again a free movie on my TV. I hadn’t even heard of this but I read the description and it sounds good!
9. Becoming Jane Movie -YAY! I wanted to go see this in the movies but my husband flat out refused. Now it is FREE!!!!! Of all of the movies I am most excited about this one.
10. Mr. Darcy, Vampyre – How can I resist? If I am going to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, how can I leave this one off
11. Northanger Abbey Movie Adaptation- Never seen it, should be cool.
12. Mansfield Park Movie Adaptation- Haven’t seen this one either.
13. Bridget Jones’s Diary Movie- Extra Credit 🙂
14. Clueless Movie Extra Credit!
I’d love to add a book to this mix of movies. Still looking for one to peak my interest!
Thanks again to Stephanie for hosting this fantastic challenge!