Everything Austen Challenge- Bridget Jones’s Diary
Bridget Jones’s Diary IMBD link
Directed by Sharon Maguire
Screenplay by Helen Fielding
Based on the novel Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding which is based on Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Release date 13 April 2001
~sigh~ I hate writing bad reviews. I really disliked this movie. From the first 5 minutes I was forcing myself to finish it. I thought it was cheesy, predictable, and overacted.
When I saw this on the list of possibilities at Stephanie’s Challenge, I didn’t want to add it, I had others I wanted to see/read more. I came across it on my video on demand and thought I’d watch it for fun. Fun for me it was not.
I’m a fan of flawed characters. I love a good romance. I love a romance brewing in the background. Bridget just was…annoying to me. I think it started when she calls herself “fat” and needing to loose 20-30 lbs at 136lbs. Maybe it’s because I’m 5’9″ and 136lbs is on the skinny side for me…but it just annoyed me. I’m think maybe it had to do with some personal issues I am going through with my oldest daughter right now. She is 8 years old and thinks she is fat. She is FAR from fat, if anything she is too skinny. She refuses to eat at times and lost 8 lbs in a month. She weighs a whopping 54lbs at 8 years old. She isn’t even technically heavy enough to ride without a carseat in California (6 and 60lbs). I know I’m really off on a tangent, but things like that really irk me.
Hugh Grant plays his dithering babbling englishman role again for this movie….although in this movie he is a naughty englishman. I can’t day anything bad about Colin Firth. He IS Mr. Darcy! I guess someone thought they were funny getting Colin Firth in to play the role of yet another Mr. Darcy.
Okay I’m going to stop now because I feel like I am just being mean! As far as modern adaptations go…I’d rather watch Clueless. I apologize to any of you who love this movie. I’m sure some of you do. It just didn’t do it for me. Like I said, it may have been my own personal issues getting in the way of things.
I’m including this review with the challenge, although I’m not counting it towards my 12. I’m considering it….extra credit?
Here is my list and progress so far:
Here is how my progress is going on my Everything Austen Challenge!
1. Austenland by Shannon Hale -Read July 2009. I’ve wanted to read this for a long time and along comes a perfect challenge!
2. Pride and Prejudice BBC Miniseries -I’ve seen this a few times, but I don’t remember it fully. It’s always worth another viewing.
3. Pride and Prejudice 2005 Movie Adaptation -I thought it would be interesting to compare and contrast the two movie versions of the novel. I was going to reread the novel, but I’m not sure how much Pride and Prejudice I can take!
4. Emma by Jane Austen -Of all the Austen novels, I remember this one the least, so I picked it to re-read.
5. Emma Movie Adaptation -I’ve started, but never finished this movie. Again, I thought to compare and contrast would be interesting.
6. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith -I have nothing to say other than…curiousity has finally got the best of me. My biggest problem is the comment from the back; “…transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you’d actually want to read.” To which I say “Hey!!!” A little cheeky considering Jane Austen is still listed as an author…
7. Sense and Sensibility Movie Adaptation -1996 Version with Emma Thompson-Really enjoyed this movie. Emma Thompson rocks!
8. The Jane Austen Book ClubMovie -Click for my review. A fun movie relating to Jane Austen without being an adapation of one of her novels.
9. Becoming Jane Movie -YAY! I wanted to go see this in the movies but my husband flat out refused. Now it is FREE!!!!! Of all of the movies I am most excited about this one.
10. Mr. Darcy, Vampyre – How can I resist? If I am going to read Pride and Prejudice and Vampires, how can I leave this one off
11. Northanger Abbey Movie Adaptation- Haven’t seen it, let’s hope it doesn’t disappoint!
12. Mansfield Park Movie Adaptation
13. Bridget Jones’s Diary Movie- Loosely based upon Austen’s novel Pride and Prejudice. Extra credit for me!
Thanks again to Stephanie for hosting this fantastic challenge!